Recently, facebook company expanded a nice feature in the facebook social network. The name of the feature is THE FACE RECOGNITION FEATURE.
What is the facial recognition feature all about?
According to facebook:
This feature is a technology which analyzes the pixels in photos you are already tagged in and generates a string of number called templates. Now, when photos and videos are uploaded, we compare those images to the template.
However, the facial recognition feature is not new to facebook. This feature has been used by the company for sometime now to suggest friends to tag in photos. If you would notice: If you upload a photo and you want to tag friends, some particular friends show first, that is the facial recognition feature at work.
What does the facial recognition feature do for you?
- It protects you from fake accounts using your photos: With the face recognition feature, Facebook alerts you whenever a photo of you or a video of you is posted. With this, you will be protected from impersonation.
- It is the feature used for suggesting tags in photos: How does this really happen? when a photo is uploaded by your friends or family, the face recognition feature will suggest you at the top of the tag list so that they can find and tag you easily.
- It is used to let you know when you are in a photo even when you have not been tagged:
If you are in the audience for a post that includes a photo of you, Facebook will send a notification when it successfully identifies your face using the feature. When this happens, you can choose to add a tag or remain untagged.
Finally, I see nothing bad in this feature. With it you are sure of being secured from impersonation and the rest. Thumbs up to Facebook.
However, it is your choice to use it or not. If you want to stop the feature, you can as well deactivate it. follow the steps below.
How to deactivate the Facebook face recognition feature.
If you are using the Facebook Phone application, follow these steps:
- Tap on the overflow button (Three lines icon).
- click on settings.
- Click on privacy shortcuts.
- Click on more settings.
- Click on face recognition.
- Finally, click on NO.
If you are using the web version of Facebook.
- Click the down arrow on the top right corner.
- Click on settings.
- Click on face recognition.
- Click on edit.
- Finally click on NO.
NOTE: If you have not been aware of this feature, and you will like to use it, you can as well follow the steps above to turn it on. However, it is automatically ON in some of the Facebook accounts i have seen so far.
All the best. share with your friends. If you have any questions, don’t forget to ask using the comment box below.
Hi, I am frank, an inspired tech. blogger, web developer and a computer hardware technician. Catch up with tutorials, tech news, programming tips and lots more!