Do i really need to change my new PC's windows 10 OS to windows 7?…
PC commands you should knowJuly 6, 2018
Learn how to use your PC faster with PC commands. In this article, we will be covering command lines you need to know in order to use your PC like a pro. With these, you don’t need to always use your mouse to navigate in your PC.
In this article we will be covering:
- Windows shortcuts
- commands (basically how to shutdown, log off or restart your PC using the cmd.exe )
Now lets get started: You need your PC by your side in order to see the functionalities of these shortcuts. It will really help.
Fantastic windows short cuts you need to know as a PRO.
- Windows key + Up arrow= maximize a current window.
- Windows key + down arrow key = minimize the current window.
- Alt key + Tab key= switch between open programs. With this shortcut, you can easily navigate to another program without minimizing the one you are currently working on.
- Windows key+ R= Open the run menu. The run menu is another easy way to navigate through your PC faster. There is an article on that.
- Windows key+ F= search window. This command opens the search windows where you can search for anything you are looking for in your PC without much stress.
- Windows key + F1= Open windows help. With this you can get help anytime you are lost. You can as well use this short cut key to get help when you have any problem with any feature in your PC.
- Windows key+ D: This shortcut also works like The minimizing shortcut. If you press this shortcut keys, the program you are currently working on will minimize immediately. In order to recover it back,
- Windows key+ E= Open file explorer.
- Windows key + L= Lock your PC. With this shortcut, you don’t need to navigate to the start menu in order to lock your PC. It can as well make you to lock it faster.
- Windows key + space bar: peep at your desktop. If you want to see what is happening in the desktop of your PC, you should use this shortcut.
- Windows key + right arrow key: shift your window to the right. This can be used to minimize your current window to the right.
- Windows key + Left arrow key: This shortcut can be used to minimize or shift your current window to the left.
- Windows key and + key: This shortcut can be used to zoom in your desktop.
- Windows key and – key: This shortcut can be used to zoom out in your desktop.
- Windows key + Numbers (1-9) : with this shortcut, you can navigate your task bar and select a program to open without navigating with your mouse.
- Windows key + shift + numbers (1-9): This shortcut is just like number 15 above. They perform the same task.
PC commands: how to shutdown, log off and navigate in your PC using commands
You will be learning how to shut down and restart your PC using cmd.exe command lines. With these, you don’t need to always use your mouse to navigate in your PC.
How to shutdown a PC using cmd.exe:
Step1: On your desktop, navigate to the start menu and click. Then use the search button and search for cmd. You can just type ‘cmd’. However, if you have gone through the first lesson, you don’t need to go through this process. You can use the shortcut key for that. Hold the windows key and the letter R (windows key + R), a little window will appear usually at the left hand corner of your desktop like the one in the image below. Then type cmd.exe
Step2: When the cmd windows opens, you should type the command below:
Shutdown –s –t
After typing it, you now have to type the particular time you want your PC to shut down. You can test it with 60 seconds. Now your full command will be like this:
Shutdown –s –t 60
Then press the enter key.
You can see how I did mine in the image below:
NOTE: This command will not work if you don’t press the enter key. So pressing the enter key is very important.
How to shutdown a PC with cmd.exe and show a message.
Having known how to shutdown your PC using cmd.exe. it will also be nice if you learn how to shutdown your PC and also display a message. This message can be used as a notification on why the system is about to shut down. In order to add this feature, you need to retype the command like you did in the first section.
Shutdown –s –t 60
Then you need to add the notification or message you want to be seen. Your command will now look like this:
Shutdown –s –t 60 –c “you have used me a lot and I need to rest”
Then you press the enter key. Note that you must put the quotation marks so that the command will work and always press the enter key.
How to stop the PC from shutting down after running these commands.
You can as well counter the command. If you don’t want your system to shut down anymore, probably because you are still busy with something, you can as well stop the command from working. This requires another line of command.
To do this, you need to type the command below:
then press the enter key. This will stop your PC from shutting down.
How to restart a PC using cmd.exe.
Again, this requires a different command. In your cmd.exe, type:
This will make your PC to restart.
How to log off a PC using cmd.exe
Logging off a PC has its own separate code altogether. In the cmd.exe, type:
Your PC will log off.
From this lesson, there are things you need to take note of:
- Always press the enter key so that a command will run.
- Ensure that you put the quotation marks where and when necessary.
- Try and use the shortcuts and was taught in lesson 1. They will really help a lot.
That’s all for this lesson. Share to someone.
You might like:
- Buying an expensive laptop doesn’t mean that it is the best. Read this guide
- Wi-fi security and hacks- all you need to know
- Programming job interview questions